And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot
A series of life events, paired with a lingering dissatisfaction in her chosen profession at the time, led Sheila to the path of yoga and meditation. Unbeknownst to her, this path would slowly elicit healing, a sense of deepening connection to her roots, and her dharma (heart’s purpose) in life. She began her formal studies and practice of yoga twenty years ago, though her informal immersion began at home through her mom’s devotion to spiritual practice. Most dear to Sheila’s heart is the practice of meditation and yoga nidra. She is grateful to her teachers, Sarah Powers, Richard Miller and Stephanie Lopez, for illuminating this path for her. Today it is her heart’s calling to support others along this journey as well.
In classes, Sheila intends to hold a welcoming space for individuals of all backgrounds and experience. Her offerings are trauma informed, and body and practitioner centered. She invites the student to explore what is most true for them, combining movement, breath and meditation as a way to come home to themselves, and be in relationship with life circumstances. She believes that the body holds life affirming wisdom, and is a vessel through which we can experience our humanity and our wholeness.
Sheila teaches in a way that is accessible and empowering. Prior to a longer practice, a class will often include a centering to arrive and settle, followed by time to check in and connect, and teachings relevant to a theme or what is most alive in the group. While emphasis rests on the first hand experience of the individual, over time classes will include education around the nervous system, yogic and non-dual philosophy, and elements of practice as tools for life. It brings Sheila great joy to share with others, and to create a sense of community and belonging.
Her yoga takes place on the cushion, and in great part in the daily movements of life and motherhood. The next leg of her journey continues as she immerses in Somatic Experiencing™ training, and begins graduate school to be a mental health therapist. Sheila is excited to widen her breadth of skill, knowledge and Knowing so that she may continue supporting others to uncover their sense of vitality, resilience and humanity.
- Masters of Clinical Mental Health Counseling Candidate, Seminary of Southwest
- (Advanced Year In Process) Somatic Experiencing™ In Training with Dave Berger
- IRI Certified iRest® Teacher and Supervisor
- IRI Level 1, Level 2 Training with Richard Miller
- The Trauma-Conscious Yoga Method Certification with Nityda Gessel
- Mindfulness Meditation & Yin Yoga Teacher Training with Sarah Powers
- Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Training with David Swenson
- E-RYT 200, Yoga Yoga
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.I.T.
Additional Training and Experience
- (In Process) Life and Motherhood 😉
- (In Process) Pranayama and the Psychophysiology of Respiration, with Richard Miller, Janurary – December 2022
- Somatic Experiencing™, Intermediate Year, with Dave Berger, August 2021 – January 2022
- Cultural Appropriation and Honoring Yoga, with Susanna Barkataki, May 2021
- Foundational Concepts in Social Justice through a Yogic Lens, with Hala Khouri, Teo Drake, and Tessa Hicks, May 2021
- Somatic Experiencing™, Beginning Year, with Dave Berger, October 2020 – April 2021
- Staff Assistant Manager, iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 2 Training with Stephanie Lopez, November 2019
- Staff Assistant Manager, iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 1 Training with Stephanie Lopez, May 2019
- Staff Assistant, iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 1 Training with Stephanie Lopez, June 2018
- Assistant Meditation Teacher Trainer, Waking Yoga 200 Hr Training, Fall 2016, 2017, 2018
- OAG Certified, 40 hr Core Advocate Training with SAFE Alliance, Feb 2018
- Staff Assistant, iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 2 Training with Stephanie Lopez, August 2017
- Mastering the Art of Touch, 2 day intensive with Donna Farhi, July 2017
- The Power of Presence, 8 week online course with Eckhart Tolle, May 2017
- Staff Assistant, iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 1 Training with Stephanie Lopez, August 2016
- The Art and Science of Yogic Meditation, 7 week online meditation course with Richard Miller, August 2016
- When the Self Falls Away with Richard Miller, March 2016
- The Art of Holding Space weekend immersion with Jenn Wooten and Angie Knight, December 2015
- iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 2 Training with Richard Miller, September 2015
- iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 1 Training with Richard Miller, September 2014
- Mindfulness Meditation & Yin Yoga Teacher Training with Sarah Powers, August 2012
- Vinyasa Teacher Training with Seane Corn, July 2010
- Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Training with David Swenson, September 2009