And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot
Born and brought up in New Jersey, I have called Texas home since 1999. I completed an undergraduate and master’s degree in engineering and worked in this field until I felt a calling toward yoga and particularly meditation. Both practices have supported me in countless ways, slowly paving a journey of acceptance, understanding and curiosity. It has often gifted me a way to return home to a sense of wholeness and ease amidst life’s fluctuations.
While I weave together the wisdom of yoga, non-dual philosophy and iRest® meditation in classes, I offer first from a place of intuition and the heart of my own experience. My hope is to create safe spaces for individuals to gather, connect and retreat within. As rhythms slow down and soften, we have the opportunity to meet life with deepening intimacy, and to come home to ourselves and the wisdom within.
I have had the honor and privilege of learning from Richard Miller, Sarah Powers and David Swenson. Their wisdom and humility have informed me deeply, and I continue to study and receive from them when I can.
Apart from formal training, my biggest teachers are my girls, Sophia and Sonia, and my husband, Herb. Lastly, I offer respect and gratitude to my parents, Manju and Pannalal Jhawar, who is no longer with us. Their influence is perhaps the deepest one I carry with me.
- Ongoing – Life and Motherhood 😉
- OAG Certified, 40 hr Core Advocate Training with SAFE Alliance, Feb 2018
- Staff Assistant, iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 2 Training with Stephanie Lopez, August 2017
- IRI Certified iRest® Teacher, August 2017
- Mastering the Art of Touch, 2 day intensive with Donna Farhi, July 2017
- The Power of Presence, 8 week online course with Eckhart Tolle, May 2017
- Staff Assistant, iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 1 Training with Stephanie Lopez, August 2016
- iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 2 Training with Richard Miller, September 2015
- iRest® Yoga Nidra Level 1 Training with Richard Miller, September 2014
- The Art and Science of Yogic Meditation, 7 week online meditation course with Richard Miller, August 2016
- When the Self Falls Away, online meditation training with Richard Miller, March 2016
- The Art of Holding Space weekend immersion with Jenn Wooten and Angie Knight, December 2015
- Weekend Immersion Viniyoga Structural Therapy with Gary Kraftskow, July 2015
- Mindfulness Meditation & Yin Yoga Teacher Training with Sarah Powers, August 2012
- Vinyasa Teacher Training with Seane Corn, July 2010
- Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Training with David Swenson, September 2009
- RYT 200, Yoga Yoga, April 2009
- B.S., M.S. in Electrical Engineering, M.I.T. and University of Pennsylvania
“I went into this class knowing nothing about meditation, and not intending to start my own practice. With the information I learned and the positive changes I noticed in my mood, sense of well-being, and in my interactions with friends, family and co-workers, I am now ready to commit to a daily practice!”
“I have done several classes with Sheila as well as workshops, this was my first “series” and it was wonderful. She’s very good with explaining things so that they are easily understood which is good with a topic like meditation. I highly recommend studying under her when possible! Thanks Sheila! Much Love, Jen”
“Sheila’s guidance through mindful meditation is patient, clear and enlightening. The series for me has been life changing.”
“My first formal introduction to meditation was with Sheila about a year ago and I was really interested in its benefits through her explanations and the way she was able to present the concepts in a way that seemed tangible to me. I have since taken her meditation series workshop where the concepts were explained and expanded on weekly and I was able to digest the information through my own practice at home as well as experience the power of group meditation through the course. I have continued the practice on my own and have seen my life transform in ways that I honestly did not think was possible. Meditation has given me the clarity and ability to find peace in my emotions and thoughts on a daily basis.”
“Sheila has a great calming presence that lends to approaching meditation in the way that is best for each individual. She truly believes in what she is teaching which enhances the experience in her class. This practice has changed my life. Thank you Sheila for making it approachable!”